Resource Virtual Museum of the History of Mineralogy (2007 - )
Paul Tambuyser and Claude Hootelé
- Collectors and collecting
- Earth and atmospheric sciences
- Earth sciences
- Models and modeling in science
- Natural history
- Alternative Names
- 10238 (WHSO Record Number)
- Access: Free
- Format: Images
- Format: Text
- Functionality: E-mail listserv
- Functionality: Static pages
- Nature of resource: Independent online scholarship
- Nature of resource: News of the discipline
- Size: Medium
- Support: Individual
- Website navigation: Click through
- Website navigation: Scroll through
- Website navigation: Search box
"The purpose of the Virtual Museum of the History of Mineralogy is to bring together photographs and descriptions of representative historical objects and information related to the early mineralogical and crystallographic sciences.
The Virtual Museum is organized into 5 major categories of objects covering the history of mineralogy and crystallography in the pre x-ray diffraction era. The collections include: mineralogy and crystallography books, crystallographic goniometers, optical instruments, non-optical instruments, and crystal models.
Besides annotated pictures we include links to museums, collectors and antiquarian book dealers.
We continuously add new materials and keep you informed through our newsletter."
(Description taken from site.)
In addition to the newsletter, this site also offers subscription to "oryctics", a listserv devoted to the history of mineralogy and crystallography.
Note to researchers: the books in the collection are not completely digitized. Instead, selected pages have been scanned for the site.
WHSO Record Created By: Amy Rodgers