Resource BSHS Travel Guide: A Travel Guide to Scientific Sites (2010 - )
James Poskett, Charlotte Sleigh
- British Society for the History of Science
- History of science and general works
- Tourism ( See also: Travel )
- Travel ( See also: Tourism )
- Alternative Names
- 10284 (WHSO Record Number)
- Access: Free
- Format: Images
- Format: Text
- Functionality: Blog posts
- Functionality: RSS feed
- Functionality: Social media
- Functionality: Static pages
- Nature of resource: News of the discipline
- Nature of resource: Reference work
- Size: Medium
- Support: Professional society
- Website navigation: Click through
- Website navigation: Scroll through
- Website navigation: Search box
- Website navigation: Tabs
"This site is for anyone interested in visiting places with ties to the history of science, technology and medicine, anywhere in the world.
The British Society for the History of Science Travel Guide is a unique resource. On one hand a travel guide, yet on the other a collection of short and snappy histories. I don't know of any other travel guide catering specifically to those with an interest in science and its history. And it's rare to find a set of histories of science aimed at the general reader. I'd definitely recommend it as a starting place for students and teachers.
It's also filling up fast, with everything from classics such as Down House in England to lesser-known gems such as the Palace of Medicine in Mexico City."
(Description taken from site.)
Some of the locations are historical sites where plaques, memorials, and statues can be found, others are museums, collections, or archives. The main page has the introduction, a list of recently added or updated articles, and the most recent article on the left. On the right are links to the society page, a travel pamphlet for this year's conference, blog posts organized both by country and keywords, and outside links. Information on contributing, including the preferred style guide, can be found in the tabs at the top. Maps and links to any relevant location websites are available in all entries.
WHSO Record Created By: Amy Rodgers