Resource Environmental History Resources (2006 - )
- Climate and climatology
- Conservation of natural resources
- Environmental history
- Environmental sciences
- Natural history
- Nature and its relationship to culture
- Science and politics
- Alternative Names
- 10307 (WHSO Record Number)
- Access: Free
- Format: Images
- Format: Sound files
- Format: Text
- Format: Video files
- Functionality: Blog posts
- Functionality: Podcast
- Functionality: RSS feed
- Functionality: Social media
- Functionality: Static pages
- Nature of resource: Bibliographic website
- Nature of resource: Gateway site
- Nature of resource: Independent online scholarship
- Nature of resource: Multiple subject collection of resources
- Nature of resource: News of the discipline
- Nature of resource: Reference work
- Size: Medium
- Support: Individual
- Website navigation: Click through
- Website navigation: Scroll through
- Website navigation: Search box
- Website navigation: Tabs
"This website is maintained by Dr. Jan Oosthoek, an environmental historian based at the University of Newcastle in England.
The site is a continuation of Oosthoek's Environmental History Homesite, which was hosted by the University of Stirling between 1999 and 2005. In January 2006 the site was relaunched with its own URL, a new appearance and a new name, providing a clearer site structure and better searchability. It received a further face-lift in March 2008 to give it a more contemporary appearance and to comply with the latest web design standards.
This website is intended to provide resources and information for scholars, students and anyone interested in environmental history. The site covers a wide range of topics reflecting the interdisciplinary nature of environmental history, including landscape history, forestry and land use, pollution and ideas and perceptions of nature.
Over the years a number of resources have been developed, including topical bibliographies, a collection of essays on environmental history; an annotated guide to other web resources; a podcast series; and a news feed providing up-to-date information about conferences, publications and research in the field of environmental history. More about Jan Oosthoek's research interests can be found in the section Research.
The emphasis of the site is on Europe, in particular the area around the North Sea basin but with a keen eye on linking this with the wider world. "
(Description taken from site.)
WHSO Record Created By: Amy Rodgers